Michigan Downtown Association News
Wixom DDA DirectorThe City of Wixom Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is charged with promoting the interests of the existing businesses within Downtown Wixom and attracting new businesses to the area. The DDA board is composed of 8-12 members that include Downtown Wixom business owners and/or representatives, City residents, and the Mayor of Wixom. The DDA’s mission and vision are:
- Mission Statement: The mission of the Wixom DDA is to coordinate the efforts of businesses and residents to promote the growth of the downtown area for the community’s benefit.
- Vision Statement: The Wixom Downtown Development Authority shall provide a friendly and welcoming downtown which will enhance and honor our history while promoting cultural, business and recreational opportunities that attract businesses and residents.
The DDA Executive Director position:
- Is to direct, plan and coordinate the implementation of the DDA’s mission and vision and the Main Street Oakland County Program;
- Is to revitalize and improve Downtown Wixom via economic development; and
- Is anticipated to operate under the day-to-day direction of the DDA Board, which includes the Mayor in its membership, and under the accountability and oversight of the City Manager.
Fulfillment of the DDA Executive Director’s position and purpose necessitates and includes certain essential duties and responsibilities, which are subject to variation as the DDA adapts to changing governmental and financial matters and which include but are not limited to:
- Facilitating the growth and success of Downtown Wixom’s businesses, including public-facing communication and informational response;
- Attracting new businesses to, and otherwise fostering economic growth in, Downtown Wixom;
- Developing and implementing programs and procedures that serve the DDA’s mission and vision;
- Establishing, maintaining, and improving familiarity with all persons (e.g. business owners, residents, volunteers, etc.), public institutions (City of Wixom, relevant county, state, and federal functions, etc.), private corporate entities (e.g. for-profit corporations, non-profit groups, etc.), and others with a potential impact on Downtown Wixom, including but not limited to:
- Liaising between the DDA and all such entities; and
- Working outside of normal business hours, including attending City meetings, attending relevant educational, networking, and community events, and fulfilling position functions;
- Leveraging community involvement through public relations and volunteer management, including identification and recruitment of volunteers, DDA committee members, and DDA board members, and educating the public about the DDA’s mission, vision, and accomplishments;
- Learning, staying up-to-date on, and presenting (a) related federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and (b) trends relevant thereto;
- Learning, staying up-to-date on, and presenting public and private funding sources for the DDA and the economic development of Downtown Wixom;
- Maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor at all times; and
- Other duties and responsibilities.
- Strong business and organizational development skills, including:
- The ability to build, maintain, and grow effective working relationships with people across a wide spectrum, such as City residents, public officials, private entity principals, industry professionals, organizational representatives, community / interest group members, etc. (e.g. real estate developers, contractors, architectural and engineering professionals, business owners, individuals occupying any position in a corporate organizational tree, and more), and
- The ability to motivate, coordinate, and delegate among paid and volunteer human resources and to do so respectfully;
- The ability to identify the DDA’s best growth levers and facilitate the DDA’s mastery thereof;
- Strong communication skills with oral and written proficiency;
- Strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, including the proficient exercise of cognitive empathy;
- Proficiency in thoughtfully developing, properly sequencing, and effectively executing public relations plans and campaigns;
- The ability to coordinate and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of management procedures and practices; and
- Computer fluency, especially proficiency with the Microsoft Office® suite of software, with the ability to quickly become literate in digital platform management (e.g. social media, WordPress, etc.).
Preferred Qualifications: 4-year degree from an accredited college or university in urban planning, business or public administration, marketing, or a related field, and/or 2-4 years of directly related experience, and/or any equivalent combination thereof.
Time Requirement: 25 hours minimum per week, for 50 weeks per year, with 2 weeks of unpaid vacation.
Compensation: Up to $50,000.00 USD per year or $1,000 per working week up to 50 weeks, depending on qualifications.
This position will be open until filled. Please provide a cover letter, resume, 3 professional references and a completed City application via email to CITYMANAGER@wixomgov.org or mail to:
City of Wixom, 49045 Pontiac Trail, Wixom, MI 48393.
For an application go to: